Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Musings on Salad

Almost every weekday, I make an arugula-based salad for lunch. I have some opinions on the renaissance of fast food salads that took place about a decade ago [or was it even earlier?], in that I do not think they are good for you, even if you omit the dressing. I also do not believe their creation was well-intentioned at all. That is an illusion that keeps people coming back with the promise of healthful options, but it is still corporate programming and still unethical. It may be better for the environment than choosing a reheated slab of suspect red meat, but for the typical price of a few fast salads, you can buy a week's worth of nutritious and much fresher ingredients.


The only positive thing about corporate salads is that I think they have changed how some of us define the form and how we approach constructing them. I made up a formula that can use just about anything in the fridge to get the ball rolling on a theme. I begin with arugula, spinach, or kale, top it with a grain [often farro or kasha], then go to town with a chopped veggie, fruit or both. Protein comes in the form of either cheese, deli meats or beans, and I usually finish with some chopped nuts. Sounds simple, but mathematically this makes for almost limitless combinations.


Once I got into this habit, my salads became a more satisfying lunch, something I looked forward to making and eating. One thing I missed once I finished school was the prompted structure of assignments. I was unprepared for the difficulties of being an artist and coming up with original ideas without peers to bounce them off or teachers to guide me. Bringing a formula into the mix has made the daily salad prep a joy, because I have that structure again, but can take it in any direction I like.


For example, today's lunch was arugula, brown rice, Persian cucumbers, honeydew melon, cheddar cheese and almonds. I opened the fridge and pulled out everything green and beige, and surprisingly, the result tasted great. I topped it with a little balsamic and olive oil, which is my go-to. I seldom mix a fancy dressing, and I leave out salt entirely. The cheese adds enough.

Doing this every day has many benefits. For me, it is a small reminder that I can manage on my own; it is a calming activity that quiets anxiety; it allows for creativity in a way that is immediately rewarding. Every part, from process to end product, is worthwhile. I think if I were making fast food salads, the sort that have to be assembled rapidly and for strangers, I might not put so much thought and care into it. Food does bring us together, but if you cannot see who you are cooking for, it removes a necessary, human element. When you have to produce something in bulk, it quickly becomes less about the person eating it, and more about getting the job done.

No recipe today, but if you would like to recreate my Tuesday salad, just reference the ingredients above. I did not measure anything, just chopped and sprinkled what looked good. Back with more pizza this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment