Sunday, May 8, 2016

1:16 / Pesto and Pine Nuts


The first of this blog's namesake project is here! My first recipe is a white pizza with pesto and pine nuts. I do not have a fancy name for it, but it does have a little story. A couple months ago I was in Helsinki, and after six hours of train travel, needed a big lunch. With low expectations [let's be real; Finland is not Napoli], I stopped into a little chain called Pizzarium, located on the ground floor of a shopping center along Aleksanterinkatu.



The staff there were some of the nicest people I had encountered during that trip, which I chalk up to their spending 6+ hours a day surrounded by pizza. What struck me first was the variety: there were at least twelve kinds of pizza on offer, from basic cheese to elaborate veggie ensembles. What caught my hungry eye was a pesto-pine nut beauty, and I ordered two slices. Maybe it was because I was so hungry, but from my cautious, first taste to my final, satisfied bite, I was filled with a sort of quasi-Italian/Finnish gemütlichkeit. That is to say, I was wrapped up in the comfort that only great pizza can bring. To be honest, my surprise bordered on shock, and I will never again pre-judge the quality of Finn-made pizza.


The nitty-gritty of pizza making will always be getting the crust right. I often struggle with yeast, achieving the perfect water temperature, and still crossing my fingers that it will properly prove. I chose not to risk much experimentation the first time out, so the crust here is fairly basic. I have included the recipe, but I claim no ownership of it, as it is an amalgam of research from various sources, both internet-based and word-of-mouth. This recipe makes a very fluffy crust, which puffs up a lot. I recommend spreading your toppings almost to the edges to weight the dough down a bit and prevent a pie that is more crust than topping. Unless you are into that, which I fully understand.


Pre-made, jarred pesto is absolutely fine as a substitute if fresh basil is not on hand. Simply substitute about ½ cup of pesto for the basil listed below. To complete the pizza, you will still need a handful of pine nuts. As always, the toppings here are easily customizable to taste. I used a solid block of mozzarella and cut thick slices, but grated works as well.


Crust:
4 cups flour
2 tsp. yeast
½ cup warm water [105º F]
1 cup room temperature water
1 tsp. salt

Topping:
2 cups fresh basil
¼ cup pine nuts, plus a handful for topping
¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 tsp. salt
2 cups mozzarella cheese

For the crust, sprinkle yeast over the warm water. The water should be in a sweet spot between 105º - 110º Fahrenheit; otherwise the yeast will not properly activate. A meat thermometer is invaluable here. As the yeast begins to bubble, prepare the flour. Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add the room temperature water and the yeast mixture and stir well until a sticky dough begins to form. Once the dough is holding together, move to a floured surface and knead the dough until it is well formed but still sticky. A mixer with a dough hook saves time here, but is not necessary. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm spot to rise for at least 1½ hours.


For the pesto, wash the basil and chop into shreds. I used a mortar and pestle to make a very roughly ground pesto, but a food processor or blender is quicker. If using a machine, add the basil, ¼ cup pine nuts and ¼ cup olive oil, and the salt. Whiz everything together until well chopped and blended into a paste. 


If you are doing it the old-fashioned way, grind the ingredients by hand in a mortar and pestle, but don't expect smooth results unless you put the time in. It can be a fun step in the process, but after ten minutes of smashing and grinding, I was getting weary. Luckily, I was happy with the result, which left some large, still leafy pieces of basil in the mix.


Heat the over to 500º F. If you are using a pizza stone, let it heat for a while too. Once the dough has risen to double its size, use it as a punching bag and let it deflate a bit. Separate into two equal pieces and shape into a circle [or your preferred shape] on your pizza stone or baking tray. The diameter will be 11-14 inches depending on how thinly the you shape the dough. 


Brush the entire surface with olive oil. Spread the prepared pesto evenly over the pizza. Cut mozzarella into 1-2 inch pieces and arrange evenly. Sprinkle a handful of pine nuts over the pizza. Give the crust an extra brush of olive oil, and pop in the oven for 9-14 minutes, or until the pine nuts are toasted and the cheese and crust achieve golden perfection! Makes two pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment